Health and safety are now primary concerns for all employers. In 2014/15, over a million people suffered from a work-related illness in Great Britain alone*. In the office environment, slips and trips cause 40% of all reported injuries and can extremely serious when they happen at height.
This course is the ideal starting point for anyone looking to become proficient in the practices of health and safety, knowing what makes a workplace legally fit for purpose.
Designed by leading environmental health specialists from Acoura – the UK’s fastest growing provider of risk services for the food and drink supply chain – there are modules giving a fascinating and comprehensive foundation in this vital discipline. The course content covers everything from common workplace injuries to working at height, welfare issues and vehicle accidents.
The course is structured to blend interactive learning with quick quizzes and a short certificated test on completion. Narration is from Lisa Ackerley, better known as TV’s ‘Hygiene Doctor’. This allows learners to engage with the course content via a familiar and authoritative spokesperson for health and safety.
A wide range of people are likely to benefit from this course, including:
- Staff working in an environment which requires them to operate from height, handle hazardous substances or operate vehicles;
- Anyone looking to learn how to avoid common health and safety occurrences;
- Managers and staff responsible for overall workplace safety.
Key learning points
This course is designed for learners’ convenience. It can be completed at the individual’s own pace and the final test can be taken an unlimited number of times if required.
The modules cover an extensive range of common health and safety issues faced by staff operating in a variety of different working environments, including:
- The consequences of poor health and safety;
- The main areas of law that cover the workplace;
- Management’s responsibility for the welfare of employees;
- Identification of hazardous substances;
- Hazards associated with manual handling and working at height.
Each module contains interactive quizzes to reinforce what has been learnt, and all topics will be covered in the final test.
Advantages of this course
- The course can be of great benefit to staff at all levels.
- The comprehensive modules give learners the practical tools and understanding required to help ensure their workplace is a safer place for all.
- All course content can be accessed via any Internet-enabled device.
- The final test can be taken an unlimited number of times if required.
- On completion learners should be able to:
- Control and report occupational health hazards
- Reduce the likelihood of slips trips and falls
- Understand the level of first aid required at different sites
- Control the use of hazardous substances
- Assess, manage and reduce a variety of health and safety risks.
- In addition to teaching invaluable practical skills, the course provides an excellent base from which learners can explore more advanced and specialised health and safety modules and programmes.